Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Service and Falling in Love


“Service is not something we endure on this earth so we can earn the right to live in the celestial kingdom. Service is the very fiber of which an exalted life in the celestial kingdom is made.” Marion G. Romney. Wow. That was a gem that popped out right at the end of class. I’ve thought a lot about service the last month or so. What attracted me to my fiancé in the first place was his kindness and service. Our courtship has been a whirlwind, but never have I doubted that I should date and marry him, mostly because of how I saw him serving and how he supports me in my service. My friend Laura asked me how I knew I should marry Brad and my answer was, “It was watching how he served others.” I agree wholeheartedly with this quote from Marion G. Romney; service truly is the fiber of exaltation. When I am serving I feel closest to God and His pure love, and when I see Brad serving I can see the sincerity of his service and his testimony of the gospel.

It’s strange that a simple act of service can say so much about a person, but really, you can read so much about a person and the way they serve. My first Sunday in the ward, Brad came and sat next to me and was attentive to me. It was the pure love that I felt flowing from his kindness that testified of his sincere nature. Service can be offered in many different ways and with many different attitudes, but true service, that requires love, and love is the basis for all of God’s works. My sister-in-law once told me, you love the ones you serve, so serve the ones you want to love. It’s true, love grows and magnifies with service. By giving a part of yourself in word and deed you love the person you share with more.

Can you tell that I love being engaged?

No comments:

Post a Comment